Project Manager – San Diego, Los Angeles, and Seattle
Carrier Johnson + Culture is a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural design firm with locations in San Diego, Los Angeles, New York, and Seattle. Our work is complex, impactful, fast-paced and exciting thriving on collaboration and discussion. This approach blends the talents and skill-sets from architecture, landscape architecture and interior design to create unique and functional environments appropriate to the ecological, cultural and social aspects of all the communities we work for and in. The diversity of our work includes urban design, campus master-plans, hospitality, mixed-use developments, urban residential, retail, river parks and master-planned communities.
- Support the firm’s design ethos – seek high design solutions inspired by authentic design influences…seek design concepts informed by real conditions
- Manage medium to Large projects. At least 8-12 years of successfully managing Residential, Commercial, or Institutional Architectural or Interiors projects
- Show strong evidence of being a profitable team leader for past design firm
- High level of analytical skills: Proficiency in using budgeting analysis (MS Excel spreadsheet creation), and doing code and zoning related research. Experience in getting previous work done on time and on budget is critical. Knowledge of how to create a design schedule is important, should be previously trained on a scheduling software program (MS Project)
- Understanding of how long design and production tasks should take to be completed
- Knowledge of how to measure up the CJ+C consultants to ensure the project progresses smoothly
- Should have a varied portfolio of past project types that can be drawn on while leading
- Be someone that naturally follows through on commitments. Has to be able to build both PIC’s and Client’s trust
- Must be able to make their project better from a financial viewpoint as well as design and technical execution
- Knowledge of what each design consultant can offer the team in terms of specific system selections
- Being able to judge the progress of design studies and offer constructive criticism to guide teammates
- Be passionate about improving the CJ+C design process by pursuing continuing education opportunities. Should already be involved with outside organizations that are research oriented by CJ+C management
- Ability to mentor younger teammates to develop/exhibit good organization skills as well
- Have a strong technical background in terms of materials knowledge, detailing, and systems coordination
- Be willing to offer their best effort at all times, likely on multiple projects
- MS Word document creation and writing skills. Effective letter writing, narrative writing, marketing pursuit writing skills
- MS Project schedule creation and editing skills will be very important. Ability to develop a project timeline that can be maintained through the bumps and hurdles that happen in the design and construction of projects
- MS Excel spreadsheet document creation and editing skills are needed to develop fees, revenue projections, etc.
- Auto-Cad program – have the knowledge to do viewing, printing, commenting. Level 2 PMs should be able to use Auto-Cad fairly proficiently so they can do project tasks along the side of team
- REVIT program – have the ability to decide on level of modeling needed. Know the program well enough to understand its capabilities and limitations so it is used wisely
- Deltek – will need to have a strong working knowledge of this account tracking system
- Data filing system expertise – need to be able to store immense amounts of information that range in content and detail. Organizing drawings, graphics, financial, correspondence, product data are key to running a project well and retrieving information effectively
- Math skills – have strong knowledge of geometry, trigonometry, and basic algebra formulas. Will be looking at and creating many documents that rely on good math knowledge
- Public Speaking/ Leadership training – Dale Carnegie or LEAD type training to effectively motivate/manage groups of individuals is important. May need to take training classes if not previously trained
- Sustainability knowledge will be more important every day – LEED AP expected, Cal Green knowledge critical. Knowledge about materials (thermal properties and embodied energy costs to produce), and building systems (especially HVAC & lighting) In terms of energy efficiency is valuable
- Specifications – have the ability to edit master sections, knowledge of products to support why used, liability risks
- System coordination and detailing experience – have the ability to gauge how complete the design documents are at any point in the project. Be able to identify the impact of one material or system on the others that it needs to be integrated with
- Construction cost estimating – have the cost comparison knowledge to first set the project’s budget with the Client. Have the ability to do effective value engineering to guide the team back to the budget when needed
Carrier Johnson Benefits Summary
Health, Disability, Retirement and Other Benefits and Amenities
As a regular, full-time employee, you are eligible to participate in all of Carrier Johnson + CULTURE sponsored benefits, plans and activities. Carrier Johnson + CULTURE offers comprehensive medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 401(k) plan and flexible spending programs. Carrier Johnson + CULTURE is pleased to provide 100% coverage for employee medical, dental and vision plans for those who choose the HMO plan. If you choose to add additional dependents this will be at a reduced cost to you and deducted from your paycheck each pay period (pre-tax). The amount will vary depending on the plan you select. Carrier Johnson + CULTURE 401(k) plan does not include any matching. In addition to offering the 401(k) plan Carrier Johnson + CULTURE offers an Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
You will accrue vacation at a rate of 3.33 hours for each pay period, (80 hours per year, or 2 weeks) for the first 4 years. 5.00 hours for each pay period begins accruing after 4 years (120 hours per year, or 3 weeks).
In addition to your vacation accrual, you will receive eight (8) paid holidays and you will receive forty eight (48) hours sick leave per year immediately upon hire.
At Carrier Johnson +CULTURE we offer two regular work schedules: 8 hours/5 days per week or a 9 hours Monday thru Thursday and a 4 hour Friday. Within these hours we offer a hybrid work model of in office and remote working.
Benefits Highlights 2023
Rates and plans are subject to change on an annual basis
We are happy to share with you the benefit plans we have to offer. Contributory plan details are included as attachments to this letter, you will also find attached, an employee bi-weekly contribution schedule for your cost considerations.
A list of contributory plans that we offer are:
- Medical – No cost for employee only when they choose the HMO Plan (Seattle Employees have PPO option only available to them at no cost for employee only)
- HMO plan UHC Gold Signature Value 30-60/20%/$500 Deductible
- PPO plan UHC Gold Select Plus 25/500/20%
- Kaiser Gold 80 HMO 250/25
- United Health Dental PPO Plan
- United Health (Vision) Plan
- Flexible Spending plan for medical and/ or dependent care expenses
- $50 per month allowance for cell phone usage (to be expensed monthly thru accounting system)
- $50 per month allowance for internet usage (to be expensed monthly thru accounting system)
- $20 per month allowance for gym memberships (to be expensed monthly thru accounting system)
- Paid parking when requested
- 401(k) plan with before tax/after tax contribution options, available after 30 days of employment
- Auto Enrollment will begin after first 30 days of employment at rate of 6%
- Voluntary plans for Supplemental Life Insurance, Short-term disability, Long-term disability, Cancer, and accident through MetLife
- Legal Shield Legal plan
- Aflac Medical plan
- Additional Life Insurance plan increase up to 5x base salary (not to exceed $500,000) with employee Premium contribution.
- No additional compensation offered for opting out of the plans
A list of Carrier Johnson + CULTURE sponsored plans you will be enrolled in.
- Short-term Disability Insurance -thru Principal: Up to 60% of base weekly earnings (up to $2,308 per week). Benefits payable through 24 weeks of disability
- Long-term Disability Insurance – thru Principal: Up to 60% of base monthly earnings (up to $10,000 per month for all active full-time employees.) Benefit begins after 180 days of disability. Benefits payable for 24 months.
- Accidental Death Insurance thru Principal: Amount equal to your Basic Life Insurance.
- 50K Life Insurance plus one times base salary up to a Maximum Life Benefit of $250,000
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Assistance Program
- Chiropractic Care Available for Employee only. Includes up to 20 annual visits to In-network providers with $15 co-pay each visit.
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Vesting in the ESOP commences at 20% per year following two years of employment
- The first year of employment must exceed 1000 hours prior to September 1st of that year. The Plan is managed by The Newport Group
- Less Than 2 Years of Employment – Vesting 0%
- 2 Years of Employment – Vesting at 20%
- 3 Years of Employment – Vesting at 40%
- 4 Years of Employment – Vesting at 60%
- 5 Years of Employment – Vesting at 80%
- 6 Years of Employment – Vesting at 100%
To be considered, please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and work samples to email@example.com.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
$120,000 – $140,000 USD