Higher Education Practice Leader – San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle
Carrier Johnson + CULTURE is an award-winning, multi-discipline design practice with a team of 80+ experts in San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, and Atlanta. We employ design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists develop sustainable solutions for higher education institutions, science and technology companies, hospitality and mixed-use developments, corporate office environments, and parks and open spaces for communities and civic initiatives.
Established in 1977, Carrier Johnson and its team of architects and designers have been responsible for the design of 4.5 million square feet for over 90 academic projects, comprised of 47 university facilities, 20 community college buildings, 8 private college commissions, 11 private schools, and classroom environments for 4 national education corporations. These academic facilities range in cost from $2 million to $200 million.
Carrier Johnson’s broad portfolio of academic experience encompasses a full spectrum of building types, with primary expertise in the design of student housing, academic classroom facilities, science and technology buildings, research labs, engineering schools, vocational training centers, libraries and learning resource centers, campus police and fire/safety facilities, health education and wellness, and athletic facilities.
Higher Education Practice Leader:
Carrier Johnson is currently looking for a Higher Education Practice Leader responsible for overall leadership and direction of the firm’s Higher Education studio with a focus on design and delivery of Higher Education facilities. As a recognized leader in the Higher Education industry with a portfolio of successfully completed projects, the Higher Education Practice Leader will have established relationships with campus leadership in a variety of Southern California Higher Education institutions.
- Grow Carrier Johnson’s Higher Education practice by winning work, assisting teams in delivering design excellence, and achieving client satisfaction.
- Provide the leadership and management necessary for the development and growth of the Higher Education studio consistent with Carrier Johnson + CULTURE’s award-winning design expertise.
- Foster a collaborative working relationship with all studio members and staff.
- Develop relationships with new academic prospects in addition to maintaining relationships with past and current Higher Education clients.
- Work with Carrier Johnson’s principals to ensure that the number of targets for prospective Higher Education projects are significantly increased and that market sector revenue goals for 2023 and beyond are achieved.
- Maintain active involvement in the firm’s Higher Education projects from initial client contact through construction.
- Strive to integrate Carrier Johnson’s interior design, landscape architecture and planning services into the firm’s Higher Education projects.
- Develop a Strategic Plan for significantly increasing Carrier Johnson’s Higher Ed opportunities.
- Position Carrier Johnson for future Higher Education projects by attracting former clients as well as developing new clientele.
- Expand Carrier Johnson’s visibility with prospective Higher Ed clientele by networking within the San Diego and LA Higher Education communities to elevate Carrier Johnson’s opportunities for new business.
- Participate in industry forums and conduct presentations at local, regional, and national conferences.
- Identify potential staff acquisitions with Higher Ed experience.
- Develop manhour budgets, fee proposals and delivery schedules for all new Higher Education pursuits.
- Ensure optimal financial performance of the firm’s Higher Education projects by monitoring adherence to manhour budgets and profitability goals .
- Prepare proposal content, inclusive of project approach, scopes of services, manhour projections and fee estimates.
- Spearhead presentations at interviews for new projects.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in the AE Industry
- Professional degree in Architecture or related industry experience
- Prior experience in a leadership role
- Strong network of former academic clients
- Significant understanding of the Higher Education market with knowledge of current trends in academic planning and design
- Successful track record in building new client relationships with demonstrated success in business development
- Ability to manage the Higher Education Studio with strong, yet collaborative, leadership skills
Carrier Johnson Benefits Summary
Carrier Johnson + CULTURE also supports and will provide one paid membership to a professional organization related to your employment area of interest. Pursuit of other professional certifications and licenses may also be supported. You and Jackie will discuss these opportunities when establishing your yearly career goals. The value of these items will need to be approved prior to attending.
Health, Disability, Retirement and Other Benefits and Amenities
As a regular, full-time employee, you are eligible to participate in all of Carrier Johnson + CULTURE sponsored benefits, plans and activities. Carrier Johnson + CULTURE offers comprehensive medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 401(k) plan and flexible spending programs. Carrier Johnson + CULTURE is pleased to provide 100% coverage for employee medical, dental and vision plans for those who choose the HMO plan. If you choose to add additional dependents this will be at a reduced cost to you and deducted from your paycheck each pay period (pre-tax). The amount will vary depending on the plan you select. Carrier Johnson + CULTURE 401(k) plan does not include any matching. In addition to offering the 401(k) plan Carrier Johnson + CULTURE offers an Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
You will accrue vacation at a rate of 3.33 hours for each pay period, (80 hours per year, or 2 weeks) for the first 4 years. 5.00 hours for each pay period begins accruing after 4 years (120 hours per year, or 3 weeks).
In addition to your vacation accrual, you will receive eight (8) paid holidays and you will receive forty eight (48) hours sick leave per year immediately upon hire.
At Carrier Johnson +CULTURE we offer two regular work schedules: 8 hours/5 days per week or a 9 hours Monday thru Thursday and a 4 hour Friday. Within these hours we offer a hybrid work model of in office and remote working.
This offer of employment is contingent upon presentation of valid documents that establish and verify your identity and employment eligibility, please refer to USCIS form I-9 instructions which indicate acceptable documents for this purpose. Please bring the original of these valid verification documents with you on your first day of employment. Your employment will be at will, meaning that either your or Carrier Johnson + CULTURE can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause.
Benefits Highlights 2023
Rates and plans are subject to change on an annual basis
We are happy to share with you the benefit plans we have to offer. Contributory plan details are included as attachments to this letter, you will also find attached, an employee bi-weekly contribution schedule for your cost considerations.
A list of contributory plans that we offer are:
- Medical – No cost for employee only when they choose the HMO Plan (Seattle Employees have PPO option only available to them at no cost for employee only)
- HMO plan UHC Gold Signature Value 30-60/20%/$500 Deductible
- PPO plan UHC Gold Select Plus 25/500/20%
- Kaiser Gold 80 HMO 250/25
- United Health Dental PPO Plan
- United Health (Vision) Plan
- Flexible Spending plan for medical and/ or dependent care expenses
- $50 per month allowance for cell phone usage (to be expensed monthly thru accounting system)
- $50 per month allowance for internet usage (to be expensed monthly thru accounting system)
- $20 per month allowance for gym memberships (to be expensed monthly thru accounting system)
- Paid parking when requested
- 401(k) plan with before tax/after tax contribution options, available after 30 days of employment
- Auto Enrollment will begin after first 30 days of employment at rate of 6%
- Voluntary plans for Supplemental Life Insurance, Short-term disability, Long-term disability, Cancer, and accident through MetLife
- Legal Shield Legal plan
- Aflac Medical plan
- Additional Life Insurance plan increase up to 5x base salary (not to exceed $500,000) with employee Premium contribution.
- No additional compensation offered for opting out of the plans
A list of Carrier Johnson + CULTURE sponsored plans you will be enrolled in.
- Short-term Disability Insurance -thru Principal: Up to 60% of base weekly earnings (up to $2,308 per week). Benefits payable through 24 weeks of disability
- Long-term Disability Insurance – thru Principal: Up to 60% of base monthly earnings (up to $10,000 per month for all active full-time employees.) Benefit begins after 180 days of disability. Benefits payable for 24 months.
- Accidental Death Insurance thru Principal: Amount equal to your Basic Life Insurance.
- 50K Life Insurance plus one times base salary up to a Maximum Life Benefit of $250,000
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Assistance Program
- Chiropractic Care Available for Employee only. Includes up to 20 annual visits to In-network providers with $15 co-pay each visit.
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Vesting in the ESOP commences at 20% per year following two years of employment
- The first year of employment must exceed 1000 hours prior to September 1st of that year. The Plan is managed by The Newport Group
- Less Than 2 Years of Employment – Vesting 0%
- 2 Years of Employment – Vesting at 20%
- 3 Years of Employment – Vesting at 40%
- 4 Years of Employment – Vesting at 60%
- 5 Years of Employment – Vesting at 80%
- 6 Years of Employment – Vesting at 100%
To be considered, please send a cover letter, resume, portfolio & salary requirements to email@example.com.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
$150,000 – $175,000